SyntaxHighlighter

Monday 28 February 2011

I Forgot What Access Was Like...

I haven't used MS Access for a fair while now. There was a time when I used to have use it loads. Thankfully not so much now. The more the years have gone on the more the glorified filing system has got annoying. I remember the good old days of 97 when it did what it said on the tin and didn't try to be too clever for it's own good.

I have had the unfortunate opportunity of using it again today in anger. What a ball-ache! That much of a ball-ache that I decided to blog while I, once again, wait for this update query to run (which would take a matter of seconds in SQL Server). 20 minutes in and I'm slightly bored!

That coupled with my previously stated hatred of IIf, that got right on my tits! So another annoyance to add to that is that you can only have up to 6 nested IIf statements - great! I needed 36. Switch was no good either - that only goes up to 15 (at least in the query editor anyway).

So regular crashes and constant "not an updateable query" messages later - I'm still waiting... Roll on tomorrow so I can get back to a real database and a proper programming language!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

.net (7) ajax (1) android (7) apache (1) asp.net (3) asus (2) blogger (2) blogspot (3) c# (16) compact framework (2) cron (1) css (1) data (1) data recovery (2) dns (1) eclipse (1) encryption (1) excel (1) font (1) ftp (1) gmail (5) google (4) gopro (1) html (1) iis (3) internet explorer IE (1) iphone (1) javascript (3) kinect (1) linux (1) macro (1) mail (9) mercurial (1) microsoft (3) microsoft office (3) monitoring (1) mootools (1) ms access (1) mssql (13) mysql (2) open source (1) openvpn (1) pear (2) permissions (1) php (12) plesk (4) proxy (1) qr codes (1) rant (4) reflection (3) regex (1) replication (1) reporting services (5) security (2) signalr (1) sql (11) sqlce (1) sqlexpress (1) ssis (1) ssl (1) stuff (1) svn (2) syntax (1) tablet (2) telnet (3) tools (1) twitter (1) unix (3) vb script (3) vb.net (9) vba (1) visual studio (2) vpc (2) vpn (1) windows (4) woff (1) xbox 360 (1)